Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Homemade Halloween Costumes: Toddlers and Tiaras Tu-Tu Tutorial!

Along with making mine and my boyfriend's halloween costumes (which you can find here!)

I have been working on two of my friends halloween costumes


They came up with this "toddler and tiara" costume idea, with my creative input of course!


So because I couldn't participate, I enlisted myself to help!


This costume was pretty cheap and makes a great costume if you're going solo or in a group.


Since there is so many great components to it I'll upload posts as I do them.

The final product will include a tiara, a princess sash, sparkly jewelry, a blinged out pacifier and a tu-tu. 


So let's start with the Tu-Tus:


1 inch x 3 yards white knit elastic

3 yards matte tulle (for each)
1 yard sparkly tulle (for each)

So there are a million gazillion tutu tutorials out there.

 Im not kidding, google it.

But I'll still explain basically how I made them


First I cut the tulle into strips of about 4 inches




After that I measured the waist of my friend who was going to be wearing the tutu with the elastic. It's import to allow stretch in the measurement so that the band will actually stay on. So make it a little tight, just enough to allow it to stretch a bit. Then sew the ends together to create an elastic belt.


After that is the tying step. 


The knot used is simple, easy and provides great volume!


First you create a "U" with your tulle. Keep the bottom part of the "U" under the elastic and allow the tails of the "U" to be above it.




Then, pull the tails down and through the lower "U"




And you have your knot!!



After this continue knotting all the way around the elastic band.




Then I added my sparkly tulle.




And TA-DAAAA! 




I then went on to create more layers for additional volume.





And did the same thing with the purple one!



Good Luck Mini Grand Supremes!! I'll keep posting so you can complete this look!



Until Then, "STAND PRETTY!"







No comments:

Post a Comment