Sunday, October 21, 2012

Candle in a Crockpot

So I guess it's actually called "potpourri" and although that is super fun to say "candle in a crockpot" really explains why I went about creating this yummy smelling concoction.

Although there is no candle involved. Or no crockpot. (Although I suppose there could be..)

So anyways being an undergrad student living on-campus, I am not allowed to burn candles. However I can have a stove and an oven. Makes total sense, not.

 So on days when the trash starts to smell and hasn't been taken out my apartment smells gross and I am not allowed to burn candles.

So here it comes, my fabulous idea..

CANDLE IN A CROCKPOT!!




Here's what you need:

Fruit and Spices

I used:
1 Apple
1 Orange
& A whole lot of Cinnamon




So I filled a small sauce pan about half way up with water and let it come to a boil.

Then while it was boiling I cut up my fruits.

Then I put them in the boiling water along with lots of cinnamon.



AND THEN....

I let it sit.


after about an hour my whole apartment started to smell fantastic.



One of the best things about this non-burning candle? After you're done with it for the day, DONT THROW IT AWAY.

Rehydrate it by putting a cup or so of water in it and repeat.



You can keep this mixture (and even add on to it!) for about 2-3 weeks.



Here are some great "recipes" I found from apartmenttherapy.com:
(mine was most similiar to #1)


Recipe #1:
Cinnamon sticks
Apple peels
Orange rinds
Whole cloves

Recipe #2:
Peel from 1 lemon
Peel from 1 orange
2 bay leaves
3 cinnamon sticks
2 Tablespoons whole cloves

Recipe #3:
A few drops vanilla
Orange peels

Recipe #4:
1 cup dried lavender
1 tsp anise
1 Tablespoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon whole cloves
1 Cinnamon stick

Recipe #5:
5 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon whole cloves
2 sticks cinnamon




I would encourage you to use different fruits and spices to make your concoction your very own.

Good Luck! 

Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment